Have you discovered the PLN of #WGEDD on Twitter? I chose to read this book in preparation for their conference in Weirton, WV being held in December.
|Picture courtesy of |
Peggy_Marco @ Pixabay
|Created on Google Slide|
1. It is the quality of the teacher that determines quality of learning or the quality of the school. Programs are only successful if implemented effectively by the teacher. Programs become the bandaid if there is no REFLECTION and refinement for how it is being implemented.
2. Success in students does occur when we have high expectations for them. Better success comes if we have higher expectations on ourselves. Teachers are the VARIABLE for change and improvement.
3. Effective teachers are able to see the situation in the eyes of the students and react as though all students are capable and GOOD.
4. We will see more success and growth if we concentrate on PREVENTION of misbehaviors rather than on the consequences and revenge. If something isn't working, how can WE change.
5. The effective teacher is continually maintaining and REPAIRING caring and respectful relationships.
|Sketch note by @vrzemaitis using Paper by 53|
When there is chaos in my life: with a students, class, parents, and colleagues, I need to remember that I am the changing variable in the situation. I need to reflect on what I can do to improve the situation. Be truthful when you say, "I am sorry that happened." Am I demanding compliance or choice and voice? Am I "listening" to what others are rebelling against? Am I empathetic to the students and treating them as though they are good? Am I contributing to the negative climate or putting my super hero cape on using positive praise?
"Touch the heart then teach the child."